Stress is difficult to avoid, but reducing it in our lives can be crucial to our overall health and well-being. We can all benefit from learning to cope with stress in a positive way. And for people with arthritis, it can help to avoid worsening the negative effects of the condition.
"Keep calm and carry on" is an increasingly popular phrase these days, but it's also good advice. Here are some tips for maintaining a sense of serenity in our daily lives:
- Meditation, guided imagery, biofeedback, yoga, tai chi, prayer, music therapy, deep breathing, and relaxation exercises can all be good for mental health. Staying positive, mindful, and grateful can help counteract negative emotionsâ€”and relieve the physical and mental effects of stress. Trying to live in the present moment can also help manage anxiety.
- Journaling, spending time with friends, family or other social groups, and owning a pet have been found to help keep stress levels down.
- Learning to prioritize and organize tasks is key to managing stress: try not to take on more than you can handle; set realistic goals and deadlines; and ask for help when it is needed.
- Because money is often a source of stress, having a solid financial plan in place and learning how to budget properly can be very helpful. If medical bills are getting you down, ask your doctor or a local support group for information on assistance.
- Exercise is generally good for the body and can boost your mood and sense of overall well-being, but be sure to ask your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
By learning to cope with stress in a positive way, people with arthritis may feel healthier, better adjusted, and more capable of dealing with the extra demands put on them by their condition. They might even enjoy a reduction in physical discomfort.
Arthritis can be hard to deal with, but as you learn to better cope with the difficulties of the condition, the potential reduction in stress may also lessen its negative effects.
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment on this article! Post a Comment