A sore neck, back, shoulder, or hands can make even the simplest daily activities difficult for people with arthritis. It may be a challenge to dust, sweep, or mop, and may make tasks like putting away dishes or folding laundry nearly impossible.
Luckily, there are ways to help make keeping a clean home easier. Check out the tips below, and let us know your own tricks and workarounds in the comments section.
- Use ergonomic and arthritis-friendly cleaning tools. Arthriving.com suggests several great options, or you can ask your doctor for recommendations.
- Listen to your body and do things in moderation. If you are having a particularly painful day, give yourself a break. If you are expecting company or planning a party, it may be smart to do little tasks here and there leading up to the visit, rather than waiting until the last minute and having to do it all at once.
- Consider hiring a cleaning service. Many offer different plans and pricing tiers, so you may be able to get assistance from a maid service without breaking the bank.
- Consider using cleaning tools such as dusters with extendable or adjustable handles, items with soft rubber or silicone grips, or self-propelled vacuum cleaners.
- Many items for cleaning or cooking are automatic, electronic, or battery operated so that you won't have to fidget with inserting a plug or worry about tripping over cords. Try to use these kinds of items when it is possible.
- Ask for help. A spouse, a friend, a child or grandchild may be more willing to help with daily chores than you think.
- The bathroom can be especially difficult to keep clean. If your hands bother you, look for cleaning products with one-touch, continuous spray instead of those that require you to press a trigger multiple times.
- For the kitchen, a dishwasher is a great investment, as it requires less hands-on work. Additionally, electronic kitchen gadgets that work automatically with the touch of a button can be a smart choice for people with arthritis.
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment on this article! Post a Comment